Saturday, October 27, 2007

Marcella Clarke Armstrong, 101

This photo is among the last I took of my grandmother. I went to visit her in December 2005, knowing that none of us knew how many more opportunities we would have together. She lived in the Presbyterian Lodge nursing home in Erie at that time. I stayed with Susan and Dick Zahner in their new house on Sandy Trail Drive in Harborcreek. It was a lovely visit--one of the few times I went there on my own without other family members. Aunt Susan showed me old photos and Marcella's journal. I remember the wonderful baked salmon dinner she fixed me (my mother later told me that Susan asked her what I might like for dinner and my mother suggested the salmon). We also went to church together and visited grandmother each afternoon. Marcella died very peacefully at the Presbyterian Lodge with Susan holding her hand on March 14, 2006, at age 102 just three months after my visit.

No comments: